What is Lung Cancer:
Cancer that forms in the tissues of the lungs. It is usually in the cells lining the air passages. Based on how the cells look under the microscope, there are 2 different kinds; small cell and non-small lung cancer.
Prevention & Causes of Lung Cancer:
- Not smoking & making an effort to quit smoking
- Not being around 2nd hand smoke
- Avoid being around or using proper protection if you must work around Asbestos, Radon, & Arsenic.
- Eating a diet rich in Fruits and Vegetables
- Genetics also plays a role in if a person is pre-disposed to lung cancer, however genetics is not something that can be changed. If you have lung cancer in your family it is even more important for you to take extra precautions and avoid the causes of Lung Cancer.
Read more: Types of Lung Cancers
- Cough: a new cough or a cough that won’t go away
- Chest pain: dull, aching pain around the lung area
- Shortness of breath
- Wheezing or hoarseness
- Repeated respiratory infections including bronchitis or pneumonia
- Loss of appetite
- Weight Loss
If you feel that you have any of or a combination of the symptoms listed above you should see your doctor. Some of the ways Lung Cancer is detected is through a chest x-ray, a CT Scan, an MRI, a bone scan, a needle biopsy of a suspicious mass, a bronchoscopy (an exam of the windpipe and lung branches)
Treatment depends of how early the lung cancer is diagnosed and the severity of it and whether it has spread to other parts of the body. it can be surgically removed and also Chemotherapy and radiation can also be used. There are also new experimental methods as well as clinical trials that are ongoing.
Cancer treatment that comes in a pill is as effective as the standard chemotherapy for lung patients who had previously been treated for their cancer, according to a study released Thursday. Results of a large clinical trial were published in the British medical journal The Lancet.